Thomas Pate, Jr.

,

I applied to the MSEM program to learn more about management, specifically as it pertains to the aspects of managing a technical workforce, to set myself up for a management position at General Motors in the near-ish future (next 5 years).  I had looked at other degree programs such as a full MBA, an MS in an Engineering discipline, etc. but really liked the combination of engineering and management aspects within the MSEM program.

I really enjoyed the MSEM program and the combination of classes covering both the “people-management” side and the “technical-numbers-crunching” side of management.  Some of my favorite classes included “Leadership Principles”, which covered the different styles of leadership and the “laws” to being a good leader, “Decision Models”, which covered the generation of solutions and the deterministic and stochastic analysis of the solutions to make the best decision, and “Project Management”, which covered how to define a project, build a project team, and execute the project tracking its health through to completion.

All of the MSEM program outcomes are easily applied to my current role as a Performance Engineer at General Motors which involves indirect management of people to instrument/fix vehicles and test vehicles along with managing vehicle testing and analyzing test results per a vehicle program schedule and then report out those results to upper management and decision makers.  The MSEM program will also help facilitate my next move into a management position and the continued advancement of my career for years to come.