Gwendi Miller

,

In my career field, individuals typically pursue MBA programs but I wanted something different.  As a senior leader, I was looking for a program that would help me discover different practical aspects of what it takes to make an organization successful.  I knew I could make a bigger impact on the District team if I gained a better understanding of the overall aspects of organizational success.  The MSOM program helped me gain that needed education.

I was intimidated starting a Masters program in a field I knew little to nothing about, but I’m so glad I did it!  The large variety of class options enabled me to design a degree program that met the objectives of the program while also catering to what I specifically needed.  The flexibility of the program and the caring and knowledgeable faculty and staff members were key to my success.  I started the program in the middle of the pandemic and faced many obstacles to success (divorce, becoming a single mom of three, selling a house and moving, and leading a organization of 80+ through substantial change and uncertainity).  For me, flexibility was key and this program is designed to help dedicated students balance work, life and school successfully regardless of challenges.

      

Also important to me was a quality education.  I didn’t want to spend my time on a program and not come out of it with tools and skills to help make me a better operational and strategic leader.  When I was choosing a program, I knew the University of Arkansas would offer me a quality education.  Now that I’ve completed the program I can enthusiastically endorse the quality education offered based on my personal experience.  I’m a more effective leader today because of the knowledge I gained in the MSOM program.